Thursday, February 24, 2011

Northeast Oklahoma Travels

I work part-time for a home health company based in Bartlesville.  I LOVE my job.  Our company serves a 50 mile radius around Bartlesville so, as you can imagine, I drive A LOT!  In the few shorts months I've been there, I've driven from Lenapah to Talala to Barnsdall to Copan and everywhere in between...sometimes all in the same day.  Most people would think that much driving (and to such rural areas) would get old or boring.  Quite the opposite in fact.  I love driving around rural Oklahoma.  I love meeting people that still own the ranches that their great grandfather owned.  I love meeting people who never go out to eat because the nearest restaurant is 40 miles away.  I love small towns where you can be standing in the middle of town in the middle of the day and not hear a single sound except for maybe a bird chirping.  I love small towns where the only landmark is the grocery store / bar (true story).  I (sorta) love getting lost somewhere in Washington county on a county road that looks more like the Oregon Trail, complete with one lane bridge (also a true story).  I love meeting people in their homes.  You get a much better understanding of what people need when you're in their home.  I also love the history and scenery that northeast Oklahoma provides.  Oil, cattle, wild horses, bison, native americans, outlaws and cowboys.  I hope to discover much, much more!


This was taken on hwy 123 between Bartlesville and Barnsdall.  One of my favorite drives!  It's no wonder Frank Phillips chose the Osage hills to build his vacation home, Woolaroc.  I love this picture for so many reasons.  The hills, of course, are amazing but I also love that my car and mirror made it into the picture.  Notice in my mirror how there are no cars behind me.  Love that.


Frank Phillips main home in Bartlesville.  This house is huge.  Oil can buy many things.


A common occurance when driving around rural areas.  This was near Talala.  The train was parked on the tracks.  I had to drive a few miles out of my way to get around it.  One day the same thing happened...only with cattle.  I didn't get a picture of that.


Fall trees.  The trees were unbelievable this year.  I can't even describe how beautiful this yard was.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I really don't like long car rides, but I think I'd let you drive me around if you took me on a tour like this! Love every photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you go to Woolaroc go up through Bartlesville then down hwy 123. You can pass Frank Phillips house that way, also an old train engine, kiddie park, an oil well, a Frank Loyd Wright building and of course, the Osage hills.

    ReplyDelete