Thursday, February 17, 2011

Project 64: Yellow Green #1

If you haven't checked out Project 64 (project64colors.blogspot.com) here's a brief run down.  Every week Brooke chooses a color at random from a 64 count box of Crayola crayons.  The participants each buy a box of 64 count crayons and find the chosen color each week (I haven't bought any yet).  Having the color in your hand allows you to carry it around with you so you'll always have a reference.  The goal is to match the color as closely as possible, whether you're taking a picture of a thing or something in nature or your kids...the subject doesn't matter.

But, one of the things I've learned from my brother (a professional photographer) is that the subject DOES matter.  In fact, 99% of a great picture is the person behind the camera.  The other 1% being the actual camera itself.  So many things go in to a great picture...lighting, subject, angle, perspective, emotion.  My brother is a huge fan of the iphone's camera.  He has gotten some AMAZING shots on it.  Now, the pictures he makes in to prints come off a camera...not even sure what brand.  The point is...having an expensive "fancy" camera does not make you a photographer.  Some people are just born photographers, no matter what kind of camera they're holding.  To quote my brother..."A telescope doesn't make you an astronomer much like a camera doesn't make you a photographer.  It's where you stand and what you put in front of the lens."

Having said all that, here is my submission for Yellow Green.  I realize it's not a GREAT picture.  I know it could have been better with a flash.  It's a little fuzzy.  But maybe a flash would have taken away that cool greenish glow?  I like it because I captured Kaelyn's personality.  She is a sweet, sweet little girl and that face says it all.  I also like it because it's not perfect.  Her face has cocoa puffs or something on it and her hair is a mess of static.  But that's her.


So, do I think I'm a photographer?  Not even close.  I see pretty things and take pictures of them.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment