Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!  This is my least favorite holiday for so many reasons!  Here are my top 5...

5.  Valentine's cards - those little ones you have to buy for your kid's class.  $4 for a box of paper that they will promptly rip to shreds and throw in the trash.  This is why I buy them for 0.25 after Valentine's Day.  I don't feel as bad that way.  {alternative} Make your own Valentine's cards out of old cards or construction paper.  Or, as before, find some on clearance.

4.  Flower and Balloon deliveries - I remember the library at the high school being FULL of deliveries on Valentine's Day.  My mom never sent anything to the school.  She always made sure we had a little gift first thing in the morning.  No need to make a big production out of it.  It never bothered me that I didn't get a dozen roses in my favorite color from my parents or a boyfriend.  But I'm sure it bothers a lot of kids.  And that's not fair.  {alternative} Make little gestures to your loved ones throughout the year.

3.  JEWELRY COMMERCIALS - those are not real life, people.  Nuff said.  {alternative} Make your own jewelry.  Or have your kids make some.  Or enlist a talented friend like Cindy at WyBeadery.  Or just forget those commercials even exist.

2.  High expectations - some women expect their significant other to go above and beyond to profess their love.  These poor men are scrambling the day before (or the day of) to buy a card at WalMart.  Women get angry if their man doesn't show up with sparkly jewelry or pretty flowers.  I learned a long time ago to set my expectations very low...or not at all.  Then when he goes out of his way to make you feel special it's really because he cares.  Not because he knows you're expecting it and will key his car if it doesn't happen. {alternative} Accept your guy for who and what he is.  Don't guilt him in to extravagant gifts that hold no meaning.

1.  CANDY - just like Halloween and Easter.  The girls end up with WAY TOO MUCH CANDY! {alternative} JUST SAY NO!  We love candy at our house.  Especially chocolate!  But a little goes a long way.  My favorite Valentine treat in Ashlyn's box this year was lip gloss.  Very practical.  Thank you to whoever did that by the way.

Now, with all that being said, this doesn't mean we don't celebrate at our house.  We make heart shaped crafts, wear red and pink all week, I cook heart shaped goodies, and we talk about the things and people we love.  No $999 heart pendants required.

Ashlyn's Valentine bucket for school.  This was a really neat project.  Every member of the family was supposed to help decorate the bucket and then Ashlyn got to share in class who had what part.
Mommy - design, lid and ribbon
Daddy - heart and name
Ashlyn - covered bucket with tissue paper scraps and glittered heart and name
Lauren and Kaelyn - tore tissue paper into scraps

The Valentine card Ashlyn made for our family.  She loves drawing pictures of her and her baby sisters.

Ashlyn decorating her cookie at school.

I was going to take a picture of our heart shaped pizza but it didn't turn out too heart-y.

2 comments:

  1. Well put, sister. Thanks for the plug for WyBeadery!
    I've never made much of a deal out of V-Day, either. Jason brought home a strawberry cream chocolate heart that one of his customers left in their mailbox for him. I devoured it. That was his good deed for the day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I am not a fan of Valentine's Day either. My kids get way, way too much candy. I end up throwing bits of it away behind their back. New DVD's from their grandmother ended up being my favorite gift idea.

    ReplyDelete