Sunday, April 10, 2011

The I'm Sorry Store

Here's an idea I came up with to keep my six year old's behavior in line (military school and shipping her to Uncle Kris  is too expensive).  It's a variation on an idea my sister gave me a few years back.  It's called the I'm Sorry Store.

Each kid will start off with $1.00 - 10 dimes.  They will lose a dime every time they have to say "I'm Sorry" to someone in our house.  They can earn dimes by doing their daily jobs and by demonstrating exceptional behavior.  Here's the kicker... when someone has to say "I'm Sorry" they have to not only give up a dime, they also have to put that dime in the person they hurt's jar (maybe mommy and daddy need a jar too?)  That way, they not only see their dimes dwindling but they see their sister's dimes growing.

So, what do they buy in the I'm Sorry Store? 

Small candy                                                                  $0.50
Small toy                                                                      $0.50
Big candy                                                                     $1.00
Big toy                                                                         $1.00
Slushee or ice cream from Sonic                                    $2.00
Shopping with Mommy or Daddy                                     $3.00
Sleep-over with Grandma                                                $3.00
Camp-Out in the tent*                                                     $3.00
        *Or slumber party in the living room
We'll have a small "treasure chest" with the small prizes - M&M's, Hershey's Kisses, Rings, Nail Polish, Stickers, Tattoos, Etc. (I'm totally raiding their already vast supply of little trinkets instead of buying more...Hi, million puppies from Senor Salsa?)  They can cash in their dimes every day or week for these prizes or they can save their dimes until the end of the month for the bigger prizes.

I really think this will work.  It's teaching them the value of money, teaching them how their actions affect others, rewarding them for their good behavior, and giving them an "allowance" without them spending it on useless crap at the store.



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good idea to me! You'll have to let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping with Mommy is a prize? I guess for Wyatt it would be...he loves tormenting me.
    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just CAN'T take them all with me on my big shopping trips. They've been taking turns going with dad to Lowe's too. They think it's cool to get one-on-one time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they are buying things they don't realize they already owned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'll take them a while to figure it out. Then I'll have to start buying some new stuff too.

    ReplyDelete