Monday, April 4, 2011

Stuffed Shells with Sneaky Spinach

This recipe borders on not being cheap or simple.  But, it's yummy.

Ingredients:
1 small tub ricotta cheese (I use part-skim)
1 small tub cottage cheese (I use low-fat)
1 pkg. Italian or Mozzarella cheese
1/2 box jumbo shell pasta
1 15 oz can tomato sauce (I use Hunt's)
Fresh spinach


While shells are boiling, mix together the ricotta and cottage cheeses, 2/3 pkg of shredded cheese, and chopped spinach.  Some recipes say to cook the spinach for 4-5 minutes and drain.  It's really not necessary.  They also say to add an egg.  I don't do that either.  At this point I add in some salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning too.


Pour 1/4 can sauce in pan.  Stuff shells with cheese mixture and place in pan with the opening down.


Top with rest of sauce and shredded cheese.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.


YUM.


Everyone LOVED this (except the big kid, she won't eat anything).  And they didn't even mind the spinach.

3 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I'm drooling right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. And I'd offer you the leftovers but there weren't any. :)

    This really isn't a bad dish health-wise either if you use the low-fat cheeses and add the spinach.

    ReplyDelete