Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Soup 'O the Week: Cheddar Broccoli

Broccoli is my FAVORITE vegetable.  I'll eat it any way you put it in front of me.  But for some reason I've been afraid of making broccoli soup.  This recipe is SO easy.




Cheddar Broccoli Soup
adapted from The Little Girl's Guide to Sugar and Spice

3 tablespoons butter
2 cups broccoli (about 4 small heads) cut into very small pieces (I used the amount of broccoli in the picture.  I didn't measure it.)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
1 cup grated colby jack or cheddar cheese ( or 2 cups )
Salt and pepper

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the chicken stock and salt and pepper and cover. Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft ( It needed to cook a lot longer than I thought.  You want it kind of mushy.)

Whisk together flour and milk until combined. Add this mixture to the pot, stirring gently. The soup will thicken and once it's thick and creamy looking, add the grated cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste, serve with crusty bread.

I basically omitted that silly soup trinity.  Not sure why everyone does that.  Oh, and more butter.  And more cheese.
We were going to have our soup in bread bowls but Walmart wanted three bucks a pop for a round loaf that could have fed a small village.  So, I just bought a loaf of french bread instead for $1.60 that will last 3+ meals.  Much more practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment